Shopping Cart


Your shopping bag is empty

Go to the shop

How much calcium per day supplement?

By :Rita Cohen 0 comments
How much calcium per day supplement?

What is calcium?

Calcium contains from 1 to 2% of body weight (about 1 kg for an adult weighing 50 kg) and is the most common mineral in the body. 99% of it is present in hard tissues, such as bones and teeth, in the form of calcium phosphate associated with phosphoric acid, and the remaining 1% is present in soft tissues, such as blood, muscles and nerves, in the form of ions and various salts.

Recommended daily calcium intake

Sufficient calcium in your diet helps prevent osteoporosis. The amount of calcium is measured in milligrams (mg) that a person needs daily.
Between the ages of 19 and 50, 1,000 mg of calcium is required daily.
Women aged 51 and above need to receive 1,200 mg of calcium daily.
Men between the ages of 51 and 70 need to receive 1,000 mg of calcium daily.
Men aged 70 and above need to receive 1200 mg of calcium daily.
Calcium is the main component of bones and teeth, and is also involved in cell division, muscle contraction, suppression of nervous excitement and promotion of blood clotting. In osteoporosis, calcium consumption should be regulated under medical supervision.

In addition, since excessive calcium intake causes such health hazards as hypercalcemia, the permissible upper limit is set at 2500 mg per day for both men and women over 18 years of age.
In the first year of life, the daily intake of calcium from conventional foods according to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Study was 504.9 mg. By age groups, the average calcium intake is 503 mg for men over 20 years old, 558 mg for 65-74 years old, 561 mg for 75 years and older and 494 mg for women over 20 years old, 65 years old. Calcium intake is 567 mg for 74 years and 525 mg for 75 years and older, which is insufficient compared to the recommended amount. By food groups, the highest consumption was obtained from milk, followed by vegetables, legumes, grains, fish and shellfish.

Calcium sources

The main products that contain a lot of calcium are milk, cheese and yogurt. But this mineral is in many plant and animal products: almonds, sesame, sardines, leafy vegetables, figs.
It may be difficult for you to get enough calcium from food only. Your doctor or clinical dietician may advise you to take calcium supplements.

Calcium supplements

There are several types of calcium supplements, including calcium carbonate and calcium citrate, that can be purchased without a doctor’s prescription. Such dietary supplements are taken orally. All calcium supplements should be taken while eating. One calcium supplement is recommended to take on an empty stomach. Amorphous calcium carbonate
Calcium carbonate is best metabolized by eating it. This kind of additive is available in various forms: capsules, soft candy, in the form of liquid.
Another type of calcium additive is calcium citrate. Some people metabolize calcium citrate better than calcium carbonate. If you take more than 500 mg of calcium supplements per day, divide the intake into several parts. So it’s better absorbed by the body.

Related post